Bavaria - Order of Theresa Order Cross with diamonds
One of only 237 crosses made from gold enamel and diamonds. The Cross shows fantastic craftmanship with its yellow and red golden highlights. One of the finest we have ever encountered.
The cross is accompanied but a ribbon bar consisting of the Austrian Red Cross medal with war decoration (enameled oak leaf attachment), the Austrian German Knight’s Order and a Bavarian long service medal ribbon. There is furthermore the full sash and case of issue including the pillow inlay.
1827 - 1918
The Order of Therese was founded in one class on December 12, 1827 and was supposed to express favorable sentiments to the royal daughters of Bavaria. It was planned to admit 12 beneficiaries per year into the order. Each beneficiary received a stipend of 300 guilders annually. The applicants had to be members of Bavarian royalty and had to be single. Admittance was possible from the age of 10 on. Once married the members of the order would be eligible to receive one last pay as a dowry equivalent.
The Grand Master of the order was the Bavarian Queen or one of the Bavarian Princess, if appointed by the King.
The Grand Master of the order was able to appoint additional Honorary Ladies to the order. Yet, permission had to be granted by the Bavarian King. Those Honor Ladies had to pay an admission-fee to sustain the order. The fee was set to be 55 guilders for bavarian citizens and 110 guilders for foreigners The decorations had to be returned after a member's passing. The order’s motto was:”UNSER ERDENLEBEN SEY: GLAUBE AN DAS EWIGE*” (Our life on earth is: belief of eternity*).
The admission fee was raised shortly after the foundation for foreigners to 230 guilders in 1829. From 1836 on a member that finally married into a family having income of more than 300 guilders had to return the order insignia and repay the annual stipend. The ways how the order was worn changed in 1858, so that members would present the badge on a sash when in royal court and on the chest suspended from a bow in situations where men had to wear their orders. Wear on “casual” dresses had to be approved by the Grand Master. The admission fees and stipends were adjusted to German Reichs Currency in 1876. 516 Mark for the members stipends and 100 respectfully 600 Mark to join for Honor Ladies. The fee for foreigners was adjusted to 800 Mark in 1904.
The orders cross is a light blue enameled maltese cross with a white enameled border. Bavarian “Wecken” (rolls) are attached in between cross arms. The Cross is suspended from a single sided crown. The avers medallion shows the golden cypher “T” for Therese on a white enameled background surrounded by a green enamel crown of rue. The reverse features the golden foundation year “1827” on a white background surrounded by the orders motto.
Besides the plain insignia of the order, two variations with diamonds are known:
Decoration with a diamond encrusted cypher “T”. First record of a cross being awarded dates back to 1855.
Decoration with a diamond encrusted cypher “T”, as well as a diamond encrusted crown. Initially awarded 1834 to members of ruling houses.
Awarded were as follows: Cross with cypher and crown in diamonds, 108, Cross with cypher in diamonds, 237 and 750 plain crosses.
Sell collectables in our shop! Please here for more details.